Psychotherapy provides a supportive environment that allows one to talk openly with a person who is neutral and nonjudgmental. The therapist and client work together to identify and change the thought and behavior patterns that are keeping the person stuck and learn new skills to better cope with stressors.
Signs that you could benefit from therapy include:
• You feel overwhelming sadness and are having difficulty functioning in your day-to-day life.
• Your problems don’t seem to be getting better despite efforts on your own.
• You find it difficult to concentrate or to carry out everyday activities.
• You worry excessively, expect the worst in situations or are constantly on edge.
• Your behavior, such as drinking alcohol, using drugs or acting aggressively, is having harmful consequences to you or others.